Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Smiling Eyes

DSCF6220

She is eight months old today.

Eight months.

It has been eight months since I first saw her little face in the dimmed lights of my hospital room and heard the soft whimpers of her sleeping. It has been eight months since I felt her hiccups in my arms and remembered with astonishing clarity how that felt coming from within me. It has been eight months since her daddy and I became a family of three, learning how much we can love someone who does nothing to earn it and cherishing every moment as it passes in the wind.

DSCF6364

I can remember tightly holding a tiny swaddled bundle, fearing I might crush her in her delicate newness. I can remember the fragility of her tiny fingers as they grasped my comparatively enormous finger. I remember the silky smooth thinness of her skin as it peeled and broke out, attempting to acclimate itself to the harsh new world in which it found itself. I can remember the terror as I looked into her bright eyes, knowing that she was depending on me for everything and wondering if I would ever be up to the challenge. I remember struggling to feed her, crying as I realized that this – the most basic of my responsibilities to her – was the hardest thing I had ever done. I remember leaping from the warmth and comfort of my bed into the cold January air at the slightest hint that she needed me. I remember seeing her bright, dark gray eyes peering up at me from her bassinet; despite the hour and my extreme exhaustion, I remember thinking how beautiful she was and how happy I was that she was there.

DSCF5704

She has grown so. She is no longer a tiny baby, but looks more like a child every day; rather than worry that she might break as I hold her, I worry that she is uncomfortable as she tries to fit her long arms and legs on my now increasingly inadequate lap. Her fingers, still small in relation to mine, no longer reflexively clutch my own fingers; rather, they reach and grab and hold out of curiosity and intrigue. Her skin is still silky smooth, sweetly perfumed now not by the natural newborn fragrance, but by Johnson’s recreation of the same. Those things have changed, but much is still the same.

I am still stricken with terror when I look into her eyes and allow myself to fell the weight of the responsibility upon me…but now I can cling to all that I have already learned and keep in mind that I will be equipped for each challenge as it arises. I still struggle to feed her, though now it isn’t the fundamentals of breastfeeding that haunt me, but the fresh challenges of spoon-feeding an eager eater a mashed puree of carrots and chicken. I still leap when she needs me, and am learning the difference between her needs and wants as she places increasing demands on me and my time. I still smile when I see her bright eyes watching me, and brim with joy when her smiling brown eyes catch mine. I still think she is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, and I’m happier than ever that she is here.

DSCF5911

6 of your thoughts:

Jen said...

Beautiful post - do u mind if I link to it on my blog? Let me know!

Jen

Mama Kayla said...

She is definitely a beautiful little girl.

I love admiring her and awaiting the coming month for my little Story. <3

This Mama Rocks said...

What a beautiful little girl. My little girl is about to turn 4 months! I can't believe how fast they grow up. I can hardly remember being pregnant though, its kind of crazy. I found you through SITS. I just launched a blog for moms a couple weeks ago. I am doing a giveaway this week. You should come by and check it out.

tori said...

very beautifully written. Save this for her to read someday!

Erin Bassett said...

Aww, great post & beautiful photos!!

Stopping by from SITS.

Beccalynn said...

this makes me cry as I"m in the first state you described, deliriously exhausted and worn out, to the point of tears--especially when she cried for three hours straight last night and I couldn't help because I couldn't stand up for my own pain. And you're right. Exhausted, tired, frustrated as I was, I couldn't help but just lay awake and admire her sleeping in the crib next to me when my mom and husband finally got her to calm down. I'm amazed that I can love someone that much. Amazed at her tiny fingers, tinier nails, strong little body, feathery soft head, the noises she makes as she sleeps. She is worth every bit of pain in my butt, and now my boobs and I'd go through those 9 months and 1 week of horrible pregnancy ten times over if she needed me to.